By Nep Journal Correspondent:
The government has today banned all unlawful demonstration in the country with immediate effect citing deaths and destruction of property in the ongoing nation-wide protests organized by the opposition coalition CORD.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery said the move was necessitated by the need to avert further violence, destruction of property and loss of life.
“During these demonstrations, it has become apparent that the demonstrators have failed to comply with the constitution and the law. Demonstrators armed with stones, machetes and other crude weapons barricading of roads using burning tires and destruction of private and public property worth millions of shillings have been witnessed during these demonstration” reads the statement by the CS in part.
Nkaissery said the cumulative effects of the demonstrations has been heightened political tension, disruption of peace and loss of livelihoods affecting thousands of ordinary Kenyans which the government was not ready to entertain as the one responsible for the protection its citizens.
Two people died so far and several others are nursing injuries including 18 civilians and 32 police officers. Vehicles were burnt and a looting spree reported in some areas including Kisumu.
The opposition Coalition for Reforms and Democracy – CORD has been taking to the streets every Monday the past few weeks demanding removing of IEBC commissioners from office.
They accuse the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission – IEBC of rigging elections in favor of the ruling Jubilee coalition.
Both Jubilee officials the IEBC deny the accusations.