Ilhan 728×90
Ilhan 728×90

Garissa County’s 7.9 budget approved by County Assembly

Idriss Muktar

Garissa County CEC member of Finance and Economic planning Mr. Idriss Aden Mukhtar with the 2014/15 budget on June 30, 2014

Garissa County Assembly today approved the 2014/2015 fiscal year budget and appropriation expenditure for the County.

Members of the County Assembly unanimously Okayed the 7.9 billion budget in which Finance and Economic planning CEC Idris Muktar earmarked 64% for development projects while the remaining 36% will be for recurrent expenditure.

This year’s budget is a complete reversal of the one of last year where 67% was earmarked for recurrent expenditure while the remaining went to matters development.

Water, health, roads and infrastructure were the biggest winners getting an allocation of 17%, 16% and 16% respectively. The least beneficiaries were Trade and cooperatives development 2%, Culture and gender 2% and Education 3%.

Speaking after presenting the budget statement to the house, Idriss Aden Mukhtar the CEC member in charge of Finance and economic planning said the 2014/15 budget was geared towards improving the livelihoods of the people through improved infrastructure in water, roads, energy and agriculture.

“Through this budget, the county government has shown greater commitment to ensuring that the citizens receive much better services from all its institutions by investing in broad based programs that are aimed in increasing growth,” he said.

He added that the county government would continue with its policy of expenditure prioritization with a view to funding core services, ensuring equity and minimizing costs through the elimination of duplication and efficiency.

On his part, Mahat Abdikadir, chair of the budget and appropriation committee in the house played down the big deviation between the budget estimates and the earlier adopted fiscal strategy paper saying that this was as a result of the adoption of recommendation by members of the public who called for more resources to be channeled to water, health and infrastructure.

“After a thorough public participation process, the assembly exerted its ‘power of the purse’ to ensure that the public policy realized from the public forums was administered in accordance with the legislative intent, and by inference, the citizens aspirations,” he said.

 

– Nepjournal and Nation.

 

Do you have something to add to this story? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Your comments:

About The Author

NepJournal is a progressive media initiative that aims to serve as the leading space where North Eastern Kenya’s leading thinkers, analysts and writers provide you, our readers, with new perspectives on all issues affecting the region.

We aim to publish daring perspectives with original content, and beautifully written pieces, to give voice to writers and thinkers so as to inform, educate and empower our people.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

UA-49312341-1